Mobile data ‘revolution’ in Sub-Saharan Africa

first_img SAinfo reporter See the full report here: Ericsson Mobility Report – Sub-Saharan Africa 10 June 2014 Voice-call traffic in Sub-Saharan Africa is expected to double and mobile internet usage to increase 20 times between 2013 and 2019 – twice the anticipated global expansion – Swedish company Ericsson says in its latest mobility report for the region. The rapid growth of 3G and 4G technology across the region follows the recent launch of under-$50 smartphones, Ericsson says in its June 2014 Sub-Saharan Africa Mobility report, released last week. The popularity of social media, content-rich apps and video content accessed from these cheaper smartphones has also contributed to the growth. Consumers in Kenya, South Africa and Nigeria are increasingly using video TV and media services from their smartphones, the report says. Sub-Saharan Africa’s mobile penetration of 70% is fast approaching the global rate of 92%, Ericsson says. The report predicts 3G technology will become the dominant technology across the region by 2017, outstripping 2G to become the region’s dominant form of mobile connection. The report predicts that 75% of mobile subscriptions will be internet inclusive (3G or 4G) by 2019. The company expects mobile subscriptions to increase from 551-million at the end of 2013 to more than 635-million subscriptions by the end of the year. Subscriptions will reach 930-million by the end of 2019, the company predicts.Data revolution Ericsson revealed the scale of the region’s ongoing data revolution with traffic growth doubling in the past year: phone users accessed 76 000 TB (terabyte) of data a month, double the 2013 figure of 37 500 TB a month. The figure is expected to double again in 2015, with mobile phone users projected to access 147 000 TB a month. Regional head of Ericsson Sub-Saharan Africa, Fredrik Jejdling says: “Sub-Saharan Africa is currently undergoing a mobile digital revolution with consumers, networks and even media companies waking up to the possibilities of 3G and 4G technology. “We have seen the trend emerging over a few years but in the past 12 months, the digital traffic has increased over 100%, forcing us to revise our existing predictions. “The rise of cheap smartphones will allow vast portions of the population – from middle classes in cities to small businesses in rural areas – access to mobile broadband. “M-commerce can offer endless opportunities for entrepreneurs and we’ve found that farmers are fans of mobile wallets, as well as teenagers wanting to watch music videos on their smartphone,” Jejdling says. Ericsson undertakes traffic measurements in more than 100 live networks across the world and makes predictions in collaboration with Ericsson ConsumerLab, combining its own data with population and macroeconomic trends. last_img read more

Journalist unions concerned over ‘anti-NRC’ dossier

first_imgThe Indian Journalists’ Union (IJU) and its affiliate Journalists’ Union of Assam (JUA) have expressed concern over the “propaganda” under the “NRC authority logo to malign journalists from across the country as anti-nationals” for their critical reports on the ongoing National Register of Citizens exercise in Assam.A dossier listing “anti-NRC” journalists and human rights activists has been doing the rounds on social media for about a week now. The office of State NRC Coordinator Prateek Hajela issued a statement saying it has nothing to do with the creation and circulation of the dossier.“The IJU views this as a hate campaign and crass intolerance against opinions and reports by professional journalists,” the union’s president and Press Council of India member Amar Devulapalli said in a statement on Wednesday. ‘Hate campaign’He termed the “hate campaign” as an attack on the right to free speech and expression.JUA president Geetartha Pathak, also the IJU vice-president, said the dossier was a mischievous attempt to intimidate journalists and discourage them from reporting on and analysing the ground reality in Assam.The IJU and JUA also asked the NRC authority to investigate the origin of the dossier since it has been prepared in their names.last_img read more