first_imgManchester United manager David Moyes insists the club’s supporters understand the troubles facing their side at present. He is just working hard to try and ensure he is getting the most from his squad that he possibly can. “We’ve got roughly the same squad that was champions last year,” he said. “We’ve not changed an awful lot in that period. “I need to make sure I’m getting the best out of the players and we are performing as well as we possibly can. “I do think we can play better but there were a lot of games last year where Manchester United didn’t play particularly well and maybe, in a game like that, sneaked it with a goal.” What was also clearly noticeable on Saturday was that United failed to respond to Yohan Cabaye’s opener in the manner most would have imagined. Instead of hitting their opponents with an avalanche of attacks, the hosts meekly surrendered, despite Moyes’ efforts to galvanise his team. “I tried to chuck the kitchen sink at it,” said Moyes. “I tried to put Antonio (Valencia) on to go without a right-back and get Adnan (Januzaj) to come inside. “We looked to try to find openings to give us a chance and we nearly put on as many attacking options as we could to try and get them.” Few envisaged such a disastrous start to Moyes’ reign when he took charge of a squad that won the championship by 11 points after replacing Sir Alex Ferguson in the summer. Various theories have been put forward for the alarming slump in fortunes, most significantly a lack of quality in midfield, which lacks the drive and fight of recent seasons. Some fans have also started to question Moyes himself, although now the decision to appoint the Scot has been made, it is accepted he must be given time to make the decisions he feels are necessary to improve the Red Devils fortunes. “They all understand it (the bigger picture),” said Moyes. “Most of them know exactly. “Of course no-one expects Manchester United to lose games, no more so than me, but it is a fact and my job is to make it better.” It is clear Ferguson’s exit has had a seismic effect, not only on the United players, who do not seem capable of lifting their game to the level their former boss managed, but also the opposition, for whom the fear factor of visiting Old Trafford has been removed. Moyes cannot be blamed for this. Saturday’s home defeat to Newcastle was United’s fifth of the season. It represented the first time they had lost back-to-back Premier League games at Old Trafford since 2002 and leaves them nearer the relegation zone than the top of the table, with even a seven-point gap to make up on the Champions League places. Press Associationlast_img

admin | 3216976577@qq.com

Related Posts

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

first_imgA 71-year-old man wanted in connection with the assassination of Belgian deputy prime minister Andre Cools nearly three decades ago has been arrested in southern Italy, Belgium’s foreign affairs ministry said on Wednesday.Cools, also leader of the Socialist Party in Belgium’s French-speaking region of Wallonia, was gunned down in July 1991.A spokesman for the ministry confirmed media reports of the arrest by Italian police at Veglie in the Lecce region. Topics : The Cools affair exposed the murky heart of the Walloon Socialist Party, which the Flemish newspaper De Standaard described as “a corrupt political apparatus, partly infiltrated by mafiosi”.Among the politicians called to give evidence during the trial was Willy Claes, who resigned as secretary general of NATO in 1995 and was then convicted in a massive kickback scandal involving the purchase of Italian helicopters.center_img The arrested man was held under a European arrest warrant issued by Belgium, spokesman Arnaud Gaspart said without elaborating.Thirteen years after the killing, six men — mainly of Italian origin — were convicted of complicity in the assassination and given jail terms of up to 20 years.The two Tunisians who shot Cools dead were tried in Tunis in 1998 and sentenced to 20 years in jail.Prosecutors say the convicted men took their orders from a political rival to Cools, Alain Van der Biest, who was also charged with complicity but died in 2002 in what was ruled to be a suicide.last_img

first_imgHe added: “PEPP is the answer to a question nobody asked.”Müllerleile pointed out that the number of truly mobile employees in Europe – the main target audience for the PEPP – was very limited.Klaus Stiefermann, managing director at the German pension fund association aba and board member at PensionsEurope, also warned about the current PEPP proposal that was tabled by the European Commission in June.He said: “PEPP is to be implemented via a regulation and not a directive. A directive would mean member states could adapt it to fit national particularities. With a regulation this is not possible, it has to be implemented directly.”The complexity of the different tax regimes will be one of the major problems for the pan-European product, Stiefermann said. “How can a smaller provider cover all 27 different tax regimes?” he asked.Additionally, he was worried that varying taxation of the PEPP – which is possible under the current draft – would lead to a sort of ‘tourism’, with people retiring to the country with the best PEPP tax regime.Overall, delegates and members of the panel discussion at the summit agreed PEPP was not set out to be a pension product – only a savings product at best.“Many provisions regarding the payout phase have not been fully thought through,” said Georg Thurnes, board member at RFM Retirement Aon Hewitt in Munich.Christian Böhm, managing director of Austrian pension fund APK and board member at PensionsEurope, added that PEPP might distract from true occupational pension solutions: “Employers might say they will only provide an absolute minimum pension plan relying on their employees to save for themselves via a PEPP.” The European Parliament’s Economic and Monetary Affairs committee is due to issue a preliminary decision on the PEPP on 4 June 2018. The pensions industry is growing concerned about the European regulator’s role in the creation of a new retirement savings product.The European Insurance and Occupational Pensions Authority (EIOPA) has been leading the development of a pan-European personal pension product (PEPP).However, attendees at the Institutional Retirement and Investor Summit, organised by Barbara Bertolini in Vienna last week, warned that EIOPA could be exceeding its authority. It would be the first time a supervisory authority in Europe has created a product for retirement saving.“The fact that EIOPA as the top supervisor is involved in designing a product is crossing a threshold that maybe should not be crossed,” said Hansjörg Müllerleile, director of corporate pensions and related benefits at the German Robert Bosch Group.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *